Monday, April 24, 2006

Rainbows and my pot o gold

This afternoon Trevor excitedly yelled out that there was a rainbow after a thunderstorm rolled in. I stepped out into brilliant sunshine from the west. The colors of everthing were vivid. Black wet roads. Deep green leaves. The air smelled fresh. Critters were coming back out to survey what nature had wrought. In the Eastern sky, a technicolor double rainbow sharply contrasted a dark sky.
I was so excited and snapped photo after photo as I heard Kermit the Frog singing in my head...."Why are there so many, songs about rainbows"

Speaking of rainbows, I have pots of gold. One is my incredible wife, Alexis. I love that woman. She makes my life better ever day, just by being in it. Three others are my kids, who are each so special to me. I have a great job, excellent health, and spectacular friends. There are treasures all around.

I have been in a funk for several days. I have been blah. But that rainbow reminded me of a few things tonight. I think part of it was hearing the unabashed joy and excitement in a 6 year old's voice about seeing a rainbow. It's nature's magic. There is magic all around you, you just have to open your eyes and ears.

Life is good. Yeah the war is going on, gas is expensive, and shit happens. But at the same time, there are pearls and diamonds to be found in each day. You just have to look for them.
Rainbow Connection
Written by Paul Williams and used by Kermit the Frog, of The Muppets, Jim Henson
Why are there so many songs about rainbows
And what's on the other side?
Rainbows are visions, but only illusions,
And rainbows have nothing to hide.
So we've been told and some choose to believe it
I know they're wrong, wait and see.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
The lovers, the dreamers and me.
Who said that every wish would be heard and answered
when wished on the morning star?
Somebody thought of thatand someone believed it
,and look what it's done so far.
What's so amazing that keeps us stargazing?
And what do we think we might see?
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
the lovers, the dreamers and me.
All of us under its spell,
we know that it's probably magic....
Have you been half asleepand have you heard voices?
I've heard them calling my name.
Is this the sweet sound that calls the young sailors?
The voice might be one and the same.
I've heard it too many times to ignore it.
It's something that I'm supposed to be.
Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection,
the lovers, the dreamers and me.
La, la la, La, la la la, La Laa, la la, La, La la laaaaaaa

No comments:

Post a Comment